Best Backpacks For Travel
Just as the case is with boots, having a backpack that fits properly is essential when going on a long trip. Weight is secondary here since you will always want to have a well-designed, heavy backpack instead of a lighter one if you have a heavy load to carry. This is why it is essential for you to always go for the best backpacks for travel. It doesn’t matter whether you are going on an overnight excursion, a week long adventure or a long expedition. Having the best backpack with you will go a long way in ensuring you can comfortably carry all your things around.
Choosing the right backpack
Here are a few things which you should keep in mind when selecting a backpack that will help ensure you make the right decision:
- Space : Think of how much space you're going to need. There is no point in buying a backpack which is too small or too large for your requirements. Think about the number of compartments you'll need as well. How much gear are you carrying? A good backpack will not really be of any use if you can't carry all your stuff in it. Choosing a backpack which is too large, you'll be carrying around unnecessary weight. Choosing a backpack which is too small would mean not having enough space to carry everything you need.
- Brand: Brand names shouldn't be given too much importance when choosing a backpack. There are a lot of brands out there that make some really good quality backpacks but you may not have even heard of them because, let's face it, you don't buy backpacks too often. So all you need to do is go online and ensure you are making your purchase from an established brand. It doesn't matter whether you know them or not.
- Choice : There is a wide variety of backpacks available for you to choose from. You should consider all your options before deciding on any one. Don't just buy the first backpack you come across. Who knows what else is available? You may just find something that is much better. You need to give yourself a chance to do so right?
- Compartments: A conventional backpack will have enough space to hold all your essential items like a laptop, camera, documents, keys, etc. There will be separate compartments for all these things. But do you really need the additional compartments? If you aren't planning on using them, there is no point in getting a backpack with additional compartments since they will only add unnecessary pounds to the weight.
Things to remember
Now there are a few other things which you will need to remember when choosing a backpack if you want to ensure you make the right choice. You may not find the below to seem too important but keeping these things in mind will certainly be the difference between getting the most suitable backpack for yourself and just getting a good backpack that you will quickly tire of wearing. You would want the backpack to last for age’s right? So look out for some of the below things when making your decision:
- Torso: Just because you are tall doesn't mean you have a large torso. You may just have long legs. The exact opposite may be true as well in some cases. So choosing a backpack depending on how tall you are is not the right decision to make. A backpack is always designed keeping your torso in mind. So you should consider measuring your torso before you shop for a backpack.
- Customization: There are lots of backpacks available nowadays that have customized fashion designs which can appeal to specific demands of users. All these bags have different USP's including hiking bags, overnight bags, camera bags, trekking bags, etc. Try and get a bag keeping the purpose you have for it in mind. And if you have any doubts, don't feel afraid to ask.
- Hip belts: Whenever you are carrying a heavy load, most of the weight of your backpack (around 80%) needs to be supported using a hip belt. That's right, the shoulder straps are not meant to take all the weight. They are just meant to provide stability. The major load is supposed to be taken by the hip belt. The belt should have heavy padding as well to ensure good durability.
Now that you know everything there is to know about the best backpacks for travel, let’s take a look at a few options. All of the backpacks mentioned below are excellent choices and you can be certain you’ve made the right choice irrespective of which one you choose:
- SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack 1900
- Top Power 8006 Transformable Convertible Carry-on Travel Backpack with Laptop Compartment
- Cabin Max Metz Backpack Flight Approved Carry-on Bag
- DAOTS Canvas Casual Backpack Vintage Rucksack Daypack
- Cabin Max Oxford Carry On Luggage
- OutdoorMaster 50L Outdoor Backpack
- Ibagbar Durable Canvas Laptop Computer Backpack
1. SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart Backpack 1900
This roomy, fully featured laptop backpack has enough space for you to carry around all your essentials without too much trouble. It is made using durable 1200D ballistic polyester and has a large opening into the main compartment with oversized zippers, adjustable compression straps on the side and a heavily padded back panel that comes with airflow ventilation technology.
- 18" high
- 13.5" wide
- Comfortable shoulder straps
- Well organized
- Water bottle holder
- Audio interface
- Laptop compartment is easily accessible through the side
- Built in suspension and ScanSmart lay flat technology for ultimate TSA scanning of laptops up to 17 inches.
- Computer pocket provides exceptional support for laptops with sleeves.
- TabletSafe tablet pocket.
- Not meant for rugged use.
- Can't carry too many items.
The bag has a large number of compartments and isn't too heavy but will not be suitable for anyone who is looking to go on a long trip.
2. Top Power 8006 Transformable Convertible Carry-on Travel Backpack with Laptop Compartment
This backpack can easily convert from a daily use, commuter backpack to a business travel backpack. It also comes with a sleeve for your laptop, media pockets with lining and durable construction. It is suited for rugged used and has functional organization as well.
- It can easily convert from one style to another.
- The compartment design is large.
- Padded sleeve can easily hold laptops as large as 17".
- Side mesh for water bottle.
- Dimensions: 20 x 14 x 6.7 inches.
- Internal pockets can come in handy for storing various items separately.
- Internal pockets can be made external as well.
- Laptop sleeve protects laptop against any damage.
- Pockets are quite small and won't take more than minimal toiletries.
The bag is ideal for short business trips but cannot be recommended for anyone looking to rough it out in the wilderness.
3. Cabin Max Metz Backpack Flight Approved Carry-on Bag
This flight approved backpack has been designed to make the most out of your maximum carry-on luggage allowance on most flights. It has a high strength composite and also has a padded back with features three main zipped compartments, 2 zipped internal compartments, carrying handles, side adjustable straps and adjustable shoulder straps.
- Weighs 1.5 lbs.
- Has large carry capacity.
- Dimensions: 22 x 16 x 8 inches
- 2 zipped internal compartments for storage.
- 3 main zipped compartments.
- Can fit maximum carry on size that is allowed in IATA flights.
- Water resistant.
- Flight approved luggage.
- Small size if used as a backpack.
If you are planning on taking the bag on an airplane, it is perfect. If you want to take it trekking, it may not work out so well
4. DAOTS Canvas Casual Backpack Vintage Rucksack Daypack
This is an ideal backpack for anyone who is looking for something to take on a long journey whether it be camping, hiking, climbing, etc. It also comes with a 1 year warranty which means you can get it fixed if anything goes wrong with it within a year. But given its extreme durability, the chances of that happening are slim.
- 100% cotton.
- High quality.
- Can be used as messenger bag, backpack or handbag.
- Shoulder straps are adjustable and durable.
- Suitable for men and women.
- Dimensions: 29 x 17 x 45 cms
- Can be used as duffle bag, handbag, brief case, suitcase, etc.
- Two durable straps and hidden compartment.
- Pen pocket.
- Notebook pocket with Velcro.
- Phone pocket.
- Secret protective pocket.
- Zippers aren't the strongest.
- May not be suitable as carry-on luggage.
This is a great backpack for anyone who is looking on spending a few days in nature and needs a sturdy yet lightweight backpack to take along. But if you are looking for a backpack to take on a plane with you, this one may just not be allowed.
5. Cabin Max Oxford Carry On Luggage
This is a great bag if you're looking for something to use as carry-on luggage. All you need to do is ensure you pack smart and you will easily be able to fit enough stuff into this backpack to last you a few days. The front pockets are quite large and you can even fit an e-book reader in them or a tablet.
- Can hold a lot of equipment and day-to-day items.
- Can easily hold 6 t-shirts, 4 pairs of leggings, underwear, 2 pairs of jeans, 3 dresses and 2 pairs of shoes among other things.
- Dimensions: 55 x 40 x 20 cms
- Weight: 2 kgs
- Outside compartments great for toiletries, documents and electronics. Will get through security quickly.
- Elasticated partition included inside which fits laptop or tablet as big as 15".
- Multifunctional purpose. Can become wheel trolley as well.
- UV canvas is hardwearing and durable.
- Will not be accepted as carry-on baggage by most airlines.
- Too large and bulky to carry around all the time.
This is the perfect backpack if you are looking at spending a couple of weeks backpacking through the countryside. It will even work as a business travel bag.
6. OutdoorMaster 50L Outdoor Backpack
The backpack comes equipped with S-Curved shoulder straps that offer additional comfort. It also has sufficient external and internal pockets as well as a few side pockets that offer sufficient storage options. You even get a waterproof removable cover with the backpack.
- 50 L capacity.
- S curved shoulder straps.
- Can easily store 14 inch laptop
- Dimensions: 22.8 x 14 x 8.6 inches.
- Weight: 2.6 lbs.
- Waterproof zippers
- Mesh water bottle pockets on the sides.
- Foam padded hip belt.
- Strap and back pad use 3 different materials together. This makes it more breathable and shock resistant.
- There is a sponge interlayer in the main compartment of the backpack which can easily fit a 14 inch laptop.
- Water resistant with high quality zippers.
- Key parts can be strengthened to increase backpack stability.Key parts can be strengthened to increase backpack stability.
- Zippers are small and sometimes difficult to operate when the bag is fully packed.
- Can carry lots of items but becomes very bulky.
This backpack is excellent if you are going on a long trip. The only thing is that you will have to carry a smaller backpack too since this one is not too easy to carry around.
7. Ibagbar Durable Canvas Laptop Computer Backpack
This backpack can suit both men as well as women and is quite fashionable. It is made from high quality cotton and its breathable strap design makes it very comfortable for you to carry.
- Big front pocket with zip can easily hold a 14" laptop.
- Can be used as duffle bag, briefcase or suitcase while traveling.
- 2 hidden straps and hidden compartment.
- Dimensions: 12 x 18 x 7 inches.
- Made 90% from cotton canvas and 10% from PU leather.
- Multipurpose backpack.
- Detachable shoulder straps.
- Exceptional quality.
- Heavy material.
- Not suitable for short trips.
This is the perfect backpack for anyone who is thinking of going on a long trip. It can hold enough items to last you a few weeks easily although it will not make too much sense to take it along with you on a short trip.
So there you have it. Choosing the best backpack for business travel or the best small travel backpack or the best backpack for international travel will now be really easy for you. So what are you waiting for? Are you going for the Swissgear travel backpack or the Cabin Max metz backpack? Perhaps one of the others?
My blog have so much information about backpacks for travel. You can read more about best backpack for business travel, swissgear travel backpack, cabin max metz backpack, best small travel backpack, best backpack for international travel.